With this trip, you’ve got a lot of ground to cover. You’ll explore Gros Morne National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the setting for some of the most alien, otherworldly landscapes you’ll ever see. You’ll learn about the people who roamed this land thousands of years before we came along, including the Maritime Archaic, the Vikings, and the Basques.
Then as you make our way to the east coast, you’ll visit coastal fishing villages and meet the people who keep rural Newfoundland alive with their culture and traditions. Hop on a boat tour and watch for whales, seabirds, and 10,000 year-old icebergs (depending on the season). While you’re in St. John’s, don’t forget to get Screeched-In as an honorary Newfoundlander! You may have to kiss a cod, but it’s worth it.
click headers below for detailsprint view all
Your Package Includes
- Expert travel advice
- 12 nights' accommodation at select hotels
- 12 day escorted service ground transportation
- Airport transfers
- Select Meals (listed below in itinerary)
- Admission to select attractions and historic sites (listed below in itinerary)
- June 2, 9, 23, 30; July 14, 28; August 11, 18, 25; September 8, 2017
12 Night Itinerary
- DAY 1: Arrive Halifax: Arrive in Halifax and check in to your accommodations. Your hotel is ideally located in the downtown core of this vibrant and cosmopolitan urban centre on the Atlantic Ocean. Meet your Tour Director and fellow travelers this evening at a Welcome Reception.
- DAY 2: Halifax – Port-aux-Basques: Travel via Truro and Antigonish to cross over the Canso Causeway to Cape Breton Island. At North Sydney, board a Marine Atlantic ferry for a relaxing overnight crossing to Port aux Basques, your port of entry on the island of Newfoundland. (Continental Breakfast, Lunch) *The Marine Atlantic ferry schedule changes from year to year. As such, a day crossing may be necessary and we would overnight in Port-aux-Basques.
- DAY 3: Port-aux-Basques – Port au Choix: Drive through the Codroy Valley and on to Corner Brook, the largest city on the west coast, for a brief tour. Your journey continues through Gros Morne National Park – to be enjoyed later on during your tour – to the fishing community of Port au Choix. While there, visit Port au Choix National Historic Site, before checking in to your accommodations for the night. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
- DAY 4: Port au Choix – L’Anse au Clair: Board the ferry from St. Barbe to cross the Strait of Belle Isle to Labrador. Continue to Red Bay National Historic Site where the Basques had a whaling station in the 16th century. Spend the night in Labrador. (Breakfast, Dinner)
- DAY 5: L’Anse au Clair – St. Anthony: Return to Newfoundland and travel to L’Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site, the first cultural discovery in the world to receive recognition as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Hear of the Vikings who walked here over a thousand years ago. (Breakfast, Dinner)
- DAY 6: St. Anthony – Cow Head: Enjoy a morning whale watching boat tour in St. Anthony (weather permitting)* before travelling to Cow Head for a two-night stay. (Breakfast, Dinner)
- DAY 7: Gros Morne local touring: Discover why Gros Morne National Park is truly one of the highlights of your tour. Visit the Broom Point fishing exhibit and Lobster Cove Lighthouse. Enjoy a scenic boat tour (weather permitting) as you learn the geology of the Tablelands, see the bald eagles that frequent the deep waters of the fjord, and hear the history of the small villages nestled on the shores. It is an unforgettable experience; some say the scenery is unequaled in eastern Canada. (Breakfast, Box Lunch, Dinner)
- DAY 8: Cow Head – Gander: Have your camera at the ready as your time in Gros Morne National Park draws to a close. Later travel through central Newfoundland on to Gander where you spend two nights. (Breakfast, Dinner)
- DAY 9: Twillingate Touring: A scenic drive along the rocky coast of Notre Dame Bay leads to the beautiful outport of Twillingate. At the tip of the island, visit Long Point Lighthouse and the local co-op. Return to Gander to visit the North Atlantic Aviation Museum before returning to your hotel. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
- DAY 10: Gander – Clarenville: Head out on the Trans-Canada Highway to visit Terra Nova National Park, the most easterly of Canada’s beautiful national parks. Keep your camera close at hand for wildlife along the way. Learn about the hard life of the light keepers at Cape Bonavista Lighthouse Provincial Historic Site. This afternoon stroll through the lanes of charming town of Trinity and see several historic buildings including a typical early 20th century rural merchant’s house and a counting house. Arrive at your Clarenville hotel for the night. (Breakfast, Lunch)
- DAY 11: Clarenville - St. John’s: In Brigus, visit Hawthorne Cottage National Historic Site and learn about the adventures of world famous explorer Captain Bob Bartlett. Continue to Bay Bulls for one of the highlights of your trip …a boat tour to the Witless Bay bird sanctuary (weather permitting). Later visit the most easterly point in North America, Cape Spear National Historic Site. Arrive in the capital city of St. John’s for a two-night stay. (Breakfast, Dinner)
- DAY 12: St. John’s Touring: This morning, enjoy an intriguing tour of this old seaport – St. John’s. See the Victorian architecture of the downtown area, the busy modern waterfront, the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, Confederation Building, and the panoramic view from Signal Hill. The remainder of the day is free to explore on your own. (Breakfast)
- DAY 13: Depart St. John’s: Depart St. John’s today as you check-out from the hotel and catch your flight home.
- Departure City
- 12 Night
- Land Only Portion
- Your Package Includes