Thousands of years of history come alive as you explore the West Coast of Newfoundland and Southern Labrador, home to three UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Witness the beauty of Gros Morne National Park where you’ll take a boat tour of the magnificent fjords, carved into the landscape where glacial valleys were once flooded by the sea. Experience the geographical wonder of the Tablelands, visit the small villages scattered along the shoreline and encounter the warmth and hospitality of the local people.
The second UNESCO World Heritage Site is located at L’Anse aux Meadows. This archeological site has been reconstructed to reflect how it once looked when the Vikings landed. It is the earliest know European settlement in the New World.
And finally you will travel to Labrador to explore the southern coast and Red Bay, the newest addition to the UNESCO World Heritage Site list. Red Bay has a particularly rare and fascinating history as it was once the base of the world’s first large-scale whale oil production.
Learn about ancient peoples; the Maritime Archaic and Dorset Indians at Port Aux Choix, the Vikings in L’Anse Aux Meadows, and the Basque Whalers in Red Bay, as you meet the hospitable and friendly people of today.
Take a boat tour in St. Anthony where you may see whales and, depending on the time of year, thousand year old icebergs!
click headers below for detailsprint view all
Your Package Includes
- Expert travel advice
- 6 nights' accommodation at select hotels
- 6 day escorted service ground transportation
- Airport transfers
- Baggage handling of one suitcase per person
- Select meals
- Admission to select museums and attractions
- Admission to three UNESCO World Heritage Sites - L'Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site, Gros Morne National Park and Red Bay National Historic Site
- June 4, 18; July 2, 16, 30; August 13, 27; September 3, 10, 2016
6 Night Itinerary
- DAY 1: Arrive Corner Brook: Travel to Corner Brook, Newfoundland & Labrador where you will spend the first night of your tour.
- DAY 2: Corner Brook – Port au Choix: Meet your Tour Director and traveling companions as they arrive to enjoy a brief tour of Corner Brook, the largest city on the west coast of Newfoundland and Labrador. Your journey continues through Gros Morne National Park – to be enjoyed later on during your tour – to the fishing community of Port au Choix. While there, visit Port au Choix National Historic Site, before checking in to your accommodations for the night. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
- DAY 3: Port au Choix – L’Anse au Clair: Board the ferry from St. Barbe to cross the Strait of Belle Isle to Labrador. Continue to the newest UNESCO World Heritage Site in Red Bay, where the Basques had a whaling station in the 16th century. Spend the night in Labrador. (Breakfast, Dinner)
- DAY 4: L’Anse au Clair – St. Anthony: Return to Newfoundland and travel to L’Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site, the first cultural discovery in the world to receive recognition as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Hear of the Vikings who walked here over a thousand years ago. (Breakfast, Dinner)
- DAY 5: St. Anthony – Cow Head: Enjoy a morning whale watching boat tour in St. Anthony (weather permitting)* before travelling to Cow Head for a two-night stay. (Breakfast, Dinner)
- DAY 6: Gros Morne local touring: Discover why Gros Morne National Park is truly one of the highlights of your tour. Visit the Broom Point fishing exhibit and Lobster Cove Lighthouse. Enjoy a scenic boat tour (weather permitting) as you learn the geology of the Tablelands, see the bald eagles that frequent the deep waters of the fjord, and hear the history of the small villages nestled on the shores. It is an unforgettable experience; some say the scenery is unequaled in eastern Canada. (Breakfast, Box Lunch, Dinner)
- DAY 7: Cow Head – Deer Lake: Have your camera at the ready as you catch your final glimpse of Gros Morne National Park. You will continue to Deer Lake Airport to catch your flight home. (Breakfast)
- Departure City
- 6 Night
- Land Only Portion
- Your Package Includes